Reklama | Kontakt |
| more

Tourist attractions in Warsaw's districts

| |
  
Apart from the city centre, which boasts the most prominent visitor attractions, many less known tourist spots are scattered over various city districts. Below you will find some hinds concerning the hidden treasures of Warsaw.

Zoliborz

Zoliborz district is located to the noth of the city centre, on the left bank of the Vistula river. It is one of the oldest Warsaw’s districts. Until the late 1930's most of today's Zoliborz was built-up with large houses notable for their modernist architecture. The area features wide streets, open areas, parks and squares. The central place of Zoliborz is star-shaped Plac Wilsona (Wilson Square), named after U. S. President Woodrow Wilson. The square is one of Warsaw’s main transport hubs, with several bus stops and a metro station.

One of the landmarks of the district is Warsaw Citadel (Polish: Cytadela). The red-brick pentagonal fortress was built between 1832-1874 by personal order of Tsar Nicholas I after the suppression of the 1830 November Uprising. It served as a prison into the late 1930's. The Citadel encloses an area of 36 hectares.



Praga

Praga district is one of the oldest district of Warsaw. It is located east of the city centre, on the right bank of the Vistula river. In 18th century Praga was annexed to Warsaw city. In 1945 the district was divided into Praga Polnoc (Praga North) and Praga Poludnia (Praga South). Unlike the western parts of Warsaw, during the World War II Praga remained relatively untouched and after WWII during the reconstruction of the city, the district was home to many government and public institutions.

Among other neighbourhoods Praga comprises Saska Kepa, which in the 1920's and 1930's became one of the most popular residential areas of the Warsaw's middle class. During WWII the district was not destroyed. In the late 1990’s many old buildings were restored to retain their pre-war character. Saska Kepa houses many embassies and consulates of foreign nations, at streets named "French", "Parisian", "English", "Mexican", "Dutch", "Angolan", "Brazilian", "Estonian", "Finish", "International", and others named after continents, nations, and prominent cities.

The main thoroughfare of Saska Kepa is Fransucka St. (French Street) lined with shops, bars and restaurants. Apart from the Saska Kepa architecture and pre-war spirit, the main attractions of the district include Park Skaryszewski and the Olszynka Grochowska Nature Reserve.

Park Skaryszewski is a historical landscape park, which is located on the former river bed. The park features numerous monuments, sculptures, memorials, the lake and a historical chapel. The facilities include tennis courts, a concert bowl, sports club and a caffee.



Dworek Grochowski (Grochowski manor house) is located at 64 Grochowska St. The building was erected in the second half on the 18th century in the classical style. Today it houses the Public Music School.

Bielany

Bielany district is located in the north-west part of the city. The district features Las Bielanski (Bielanski Forest), which is the remaining part of the Mazowiecka Primeval Forest. Bielanski Forest nature reserve is connected with Kampinoski Forest. It is home to rich fauna and flora. Within the forest there are three cycling and walking trails.

Wola

Wola district is located in the western part of the city. Traditionally, it was an industrial district of the city. Wola features numerous industrial building and sites. The historical industrial sites, which have been transformed into museums include: Muzeum Gazownictwa (Gas Industry Museum) and Muzeum Powstania Warszawskiego (the Warsaw Rising Museum) located in the old tram power station.

Other historical buildings include: Biernackich Palace, Boguslawskiego Palace and Reduta Wolska (Wolska Redoubt).
 
Mokotow

Mokotow district is located south of the city centre. It features many parks, green areas, lakes and ponds. Its main attractions include: Pole Mokotowskie park complex; Arkadia Park; Krolikarnia Palace, Jeziorko Czerniakowskie nature reserve; Fort Mokotow (Mokotow fortress) at Raclawicka St., which today the fortress houses several clubs; Stegny ice rink; Szustra Palace and Andrzej Bobola Sanctuary.



Ochota

Adjacent to the city centre, Ochota district features the following tourist attractions:

Kolonia Lubeckiego – a historical residential area enclosed by Filtrowa, Krzywickiego, Wawelska and Grojecka streets as well as Narutowicza Square.
The 19th-century Lindley Filters – the filters are located between Koszykowa, Filtrowa, Nowowiejskla and Raszynska streets. They belong to the municipal water supply system.

Ursynow

Ursynow, is the sourhern most district of Warsaw. It is the biggest housing estate district of the city. The main attractions include:

Kabacki Forest nature reserve - located at the southern end of the district. It is one of the main recreation area for Ursynow residents, featuring cycling and walking paths as well as the Park of Culture in the village of Powsin and the Botanic Garden of the Polish Academy of Sciences.
Fort Sluzew (Sluzew Fortress) – one of the fortresses erected in the 19th century located on a little hill.
Sluzewiec racecourse
St. Catherine’s Church – the oldest church in Warsaw dating back to the Middle Ages.
Krasinskich Palace located at Nowoursynowska 166.
Natolin Palace and park complex at Nowoursynowska 84 together with nature reserve Natolin Forest.

Targowek

Targowek is located on the right bank of the Vistula river. Interesting places within the district include:

Brodnowski cemetery – one of the largest necropolis in Europe. The cemetery features the 19th-century wooden church of Vincent a Paulo.
The Jewish cemetery established in the 18th century



Bemowo

The district is located on the western edge of the Warsaw city. Its attractions include several fortresses: Fort Bema, Fort Wawrzyszew, Fort Blizne and Fort Chrzanow, which constituted part of the Warsaw Fortress erected around Warsaw by the Russian authorities in the 19th century.

Bialoleka

Bialoleka district features:

Manor houses complex at Mehoffera St. comprising 18th century manor house and and an outhouse erected at the beginning of the 19th century. The complex is surrounded by a park.
St. James church – located at Mehoffera street. It is the only Gothic church in Warsaw which survived almost intact until the present day. The church dates back to the 16th century.
St. Michael Archangel’s Church - located at Glebocka 119. It is one of the oldest larch wooden churches in Warsaw founded by Queen Bona in 1534.

Things to do in Warsaw

PDF Guide to Warsaw

To receive the free PDF guide to
the best of Warsaw please fill in
the short form:

email:

country:

Map of Warsaw

Map of Warsaw

Warsaw Map | Map of Warsaw Poland

Plan your trip with our interactive Warsaw Map section. Major routes through and around Warsaw city.

Warsaw ads